Thursday, March 1, 2012

Nieves Navarro Interview


(Brief Interview by Juan Pablo Torrents-Faura)

Also known as Susan Scott, Nieves Navarro García was born in Almería but soon moved to Barcelona, ​​where she began her career as a model and actress. She has no children and is married to Italian film director Luciano Ercoli. Currently living near the Palau de la Música Catalana in Barcelona, Spain, Navarro continues to maintain that appeal and innate elegance that helped in her career as an actress and model. Here is a little interview I had with her in her own home last November 2011.

Juan: Nieves, how you got into the film world?

Nieves: My first film appearance was in the film “Toto Arabia” in 1964 and produced by the Brothers Balcázar. But it was a result of having begun as a model in Barcelona appearing in television commercials and catwalks of haute couture designs by (Manuel) Pertegaz, Santa Eulalia and Asunción Bastida. But I had no training as an actress, I just did a test and got the part.

Juan: What about films of the genre called "spaghetti westerns"?

Nieves: I worked in “A Pistol for Ringo (1965) but soon after I started with “Giallo” (police) movies of the genre and later in erotic themes because I had to eat, and then you could not by choosy. If I had the option not to do them, I would not have agreed to work on them. But honestly, I do not remember much about those movies because I do not have really good memories of them. But in the 80’s, I was offered roles that did not interest me, and at the end of that decade I stopped making movies.


Juan: What differences do you see between now about actors you worked with and met in the 60s and 70s?

Nieves: For me it was a reference José Luis López Vázquez, but I had to do all kinds of movies to follow in the world of cinema.

Currently, I see no differences. Good actors have always exist now and 70 years ago. Now, however, actors do more drama movies in those days we did themed comedy films, yet stupid.

Juan: Why is Spanish cinema considered so bad now than before?

Nieves: Then there were two or three good directors but not now. But there was the issue of subsidies, there are movies that should not have been done, but were funded by cronyism. For reference my directors were and still are, (Luis García) Berlanga and Carlos Saura.

I have never loved Spanish cinema, I've always leaned more to Italian filmmakers like Fellini. He went to the tavern to look for the actors because they cared about the actor's face, but his experience was as such.

 Juan: What movie was the best that you worked on?

Nieves: To me, the best no doubt: “El halcón y la presa” (The Big Gundown) in 1966. 


 
Juan: And the worst ..?
.......

Juan: How is the Spanish film scene now?

Nieves: I think they lack good writers and good directors. But the script has to be good, because otherwise ... No way ... Or maybe it's that they are running out of ideas.

Juan: What do you think about making film?

Nieves: I gave me the opportunity to meet many people and nice men. The cast and crew of each film is like a big family because they are together for so long. The insecurity in this kind of work, which binds many of us together.

2 comments:

  1. Great moment with Nieves Navarro.
    Very good rebember her.
    Congratulaions for interview.
    www.bangbangitaliana.blogspot.com
    Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nieves Navarro was born in the very same town where almost all of the Spaghetti Westerns were shot. How cool is that? Viva Almeria! Viva Nieves Navarro!

    ReplyDelete